
O.K. I am just learning this blog thing. I am following Diane's instructions (thanks Diane!). Hope this works.
In case you don't know this book I wanted to add it to your reading list. I know Marsha has read it already. We read it in the Relief Society book club and had a very intense discussion the other day about it.
Three Cups of Tea (by Greg Mortenson & David Oliver Relin) is the true story of one of the most extraordinary humanitarian missions of our time. In 1993, a young American mountain climber named Greg Mortenson stumbled into a tiny village high in Pakistan's beautiful and desperately poor Karakoram Himalaya region. Ill, exhausted and depressed after a failed attempt to scale the summit of K2, Mortenson regained his strength and his will to live thanks to the generosity of the people of the village of Korphe. Before he left, Mortenson made a vow that would profoundly change both the villagers' lives and his own - that he would return and build them a school.
The book traces how Mortenson kept this promise (and mny more) in the high country of Pakistan and Afghanistan. Mortenson was up against considerable odds. Not only is the region remote and dangerous, it is also a notorious breeding ground for Al Qaeda and Taliban terrorists. In the course of his work, Mortenson was kidnapped and threatened with death; he endured local rivalries, deep misunderstandings, jealousy, and corruption, not to mention treacherous roads and epic weather. What kept him going was his passionate belief that balanced, non-extremist education, for boys and girls alike, is the most effective way to combat the violent intolerance that breeds terrorism. To date, Mortenson's Central Asia Institute has constructed 78 schools, and the work goes on.
If you don't have much time to read but want to learn about this most impressive story, there is a young adult version of the book ($8.99 at Barnes & Noble). All the important things are in there and you can read it in a couple of days.
Diane, Marsha said that you could put the book cover on the blog. I am sorry I missed you when you were in Washington in January. I am looking forward to the next time we can all get together and have lots of fun!
Enjoy,
Gloria
3 comments:
Good job Gloria!
I read this book also - it was very interesting. He sure overcame some amazing odds to get done what he accomplished - he just didn't quit.
Way to go Gloria!!!
I haven't read this book yet but heard all about it from my daughter-in-law, Paige. It's on my "to read" list.
I read this one a while back, then recommended it to my bookclub here. He is an amazing man. I was glad that the book did not make him superhuman. He was overweight and cranky. So real, yet he accomplished great things.
Post a Comment